Lesson One: Introduction
Provides course learning objectives, student expectations, available resources, and explanation of the structured online learning format.
Lesson Two: Structure of Woods
Wood is a unique building material as it is a once-living substance. This gives it properties no other building material contends with.
3. Lesson Three: Characteristics of Woods
The living characteristics of wood fuse with lumber cuts to create unique grain patterns.
Lesson Four: Beautiful Woods
Let's take a look at a sampler of beautiful woods you may one day work with.
This is the end of course quiz.
Inspirational / Aspirational - Optional Learning
Optional learning; These videos showcase advanced woodworking skills used in building one-of-a-kind furniture pieces. You will have mastered these skills by completion of your woodworking program.
Lesson One Unit Assignment
- Post a short introduction to yourself on the Woodworker’s Forum. Include the following in your introduction:
- Your Name
- Type of work you’ve done/are currently doing
- What you hope to gain from a certification program in woodworking
- Send an email to your mentor using the “Help” email form.
- Introduce yourself
- Let your mentor know you’ve posted your introduction on the forum
Let’s Explore (Optional):
This lesson’s “Let’s Explore” bonus material is an 18 minute video clip on “The incredible English Joiner’s Bench.” The author presents a brief background of a simple but highly functional workbench design that has been around for hundreds of years, and shows how to build one. A link to free plans are included. Use the “Let’s Explore” icon to access this video.
As with your regular lessons, post any questions and comments in the forum.