Lesson One: Introduction
Provides course learning objectives, student expectations, available resources, and explanation of the structured online learning format.
Lesson Two: Structure of Woods
Wood is a unique building material as it is a once-living substance. This gives it properties no other building material contends with.
3. Lesson Three: Characteristics of Woods
The living characteristics of wood fuse with lumber cuts to create unique grain patterns.
Lesson Four: Beautiful Woods
Let's take a look at a sampler of beautiful woods you may one day work with.
This is the end of course quiz.
Inspirational / Aspirational - Optional Learning
Optional learning; These videos showcase advanced woodworking skills used in building one-of-a-kind furniture pieces. You will have mastered these skills by completion of your woodworking program.
Lesson Three Unit Assignment
- This topic covered some of the main properties of wood. In the forums, post your reflections on how you would best employ these properties in the following types of woodworking:
- Custom Cabinetry for a High-End Kitchen
- Construction Framing For a House
- Wood-Turning a Bowl as Art an Piece
- Let your mentor know when you’ve posted in the forums.
Let’s Explore (Optional):
This topic’s “Let’s Explore” bonus material is a video tutorial offering tips on identification of woods as lumber stock.
You may also want to read Chapter Five of the course reference “Wood Handbook Wood as an Engineering Material,” published by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forestry Service. This chapter will provide more in-depth understanding of Mechanical Properties of Wood.
If you explore these optional resources post your reflections in the forums, and let your Mentor know you’ve posted.